Wednesday 8 June 2011

Arrivederci Roma


Dad would be proud of me, I had a double gelati today, with whipped cream.

What do you do in Rome when your plane leaves at 22:00 hours?  Well, from my point of view – you start by having your fill of the free breakfgast at the hotel.  Then you go and get a bigliette regionale for 4 euro, this allows travel on all trains trams and buses all day, that way the eternal city is your oyster.
Beautiful, just there between two fairly ordinary buildings

I first went to St peter’s just for a look before the crowds got there, and then back to the Hotel for a shower and pack.  After that, bus to Palazzo Venezia to look at the art, mind you, the building was spectacular.  Then bus back to the Hotel to pick up my hat as the rain had stopped and the sun was out.
From Palazzo Venezzia, Madonna with her boob out.  You don't see many of those.

Lunch time by then and no excuse for not having pizza, then off to the  Villa Medici, via Piazza Barberini and Spagna.  You can only get in to the garden, and then only on a tour, and the next English tour was tomorrow, so I missed out again.  Had a nice walk though and the double gelati I was talking about.  From there back to Termini along via Nationale and off to Piazza Vittorio Emanuelle because I hadn’t been there before.  A nice ruin and there was a festival on, expressing pride in the European Union.  At least that is what I thought, and you can understand why with big signs saying ‘European Pride’ on the gates.  After a quick exit I ducked down to San Maria de Maggiore for a hello then back up to Termini via another quick hello to another Maria (delgeti Angeli or whatever it is).  Early dinner of gnocchi in four cheese sauce at my favourite Bar Viminale then back to the hotel for the luggage.


No comments:

Post a Comment