Monday 6 June 2011

Crapping myself the Amalfi way

I looked for a day trip from Rome, and eventually settled on the Amalfi coast.  What a good choice even if I do say so myself.  Beautiful, a bit like Lake Como but with sea and you can swim.  3 hour train to Salerno, then a half hour on the ferry to Amalfi.  Glorious scenery and a perfect day.

Caught the ferry there and a bus back to Salerno in the afternoon.  Not sure if that was a good idea.  The road hugs the cliffs, sometimes hundreds of meters above the water.  Returning to Salerno, driving on the right hand side is always on the 'drop' side and I was sitting right on the relevant window.

                                          Loved this sign on the Amalfi ferry, it was how it worked too


Goodness it is beautiful though.  And a lovely swim, not quite as warm as Tel-Aviv, but you need a bit of coolness to be refreshed.  I am amazed how much Europeans sunbake without water.  Obviously the Italians at Amalfi have water but the central Europeans seem to sunbake everywhere there is grass to lie on.  I guess they don't see that much sun.

The ferry ride was great, the views were stunning and there are also lots of sea caves to imagine pirate treasure in.  On the ferry was some kind of celebrity couple, I don't know who, not Italian, and she was the bigger celebrity.  A photo crew kept taking photos of them in different poses, and were still with them later in Amalfi.  I didn't see them near this fountain though, which has an interesting alternative to the common motif of cherub boy peeing.


Lovely cathedral at Amalfi with a museum of treasures and the Basillica of Saint Andrew the apostle (or disciple I can't remember which).  Lots of little alleys and lots and lots and lots and lots of steps.
I went for a swim at the beach, ate a bag of fresh cherries and discovered another nice food, arancini, rice balls with cheese and ham or whatever, covered in breadcrumbs and fried.  The further up the alley you go the cheaper they get.

Scary bus ride back to Salerno and hot train ride back to Rome.  Yes folks its hot here.  Did I say I went swimming?  Did I mention mid twenties Celsius?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Russell, this entry is lovely to read - we loved Amalfi and glad you had a good day there. The coast is amazing. We too did the ferry from Salerno when we went and bus in both directions. I finally convinced Roy that we could get to Pompei from Amalfi (we stayed in Amalfi town 6 nights). We caught the 6.15AM bus from Amalfi right along the coast (via Positano etc) to Sorrento, then caught the Circumvensuvia strain to Pompei - this meant we were at the gate of Pompei as it opened at 8.30Am Excellent timing, only one other person there!! We went to temple of Apollo, the Forum and then walked quickly to the Villa of the Mysteries (quite a way from the entrance) and had all these places to ourselves. Brilliant. By 10 am the place was very busy - so glad we caught that early bus!!! I am enjoying your blog, and loved the (now) very familiar photos of Amalfi. The bus drivers are amazing!! best wishes Jeanette

    ReplyDelete