Tuesday 10 May 2011

Liar Liar camera's on fire

Took more photos of Jerusalem's Old City than of Sagrada Familia.
So many stories, from history, from religion, from novels and legends.  Jerusalem seems familiar and strange at the same time.
Haven't been inside the Church of the Holy Sepulchre yet but will do.  Went on part of the Via Dolorosa and round all the quarters of the Old City on the Sandeman's free tour.  It was good, not quite up to the standard of the Madrid fellow, but pretty good.  A little fellow in the Arab quarter jumped on my back twice and he and his mates kicked their soccer ball at the tour group hitting a lady in the head.  Not sure if "piss off you little shits" is quite the approach in a strange city, so I restrained myself.
In part of the tour we went up on the roofs of old Jerusalem, you can get from place to place much quicker up there, some locals use it as a way to avoid the crowds on ground level.  I am looking forward to finding my own way around another day, but don't like my chances.
The Wailing Wall is on 24 / 7 feed on the internet, did you see me?  Did you?

                                                          Here I am, in front of the Wailing Wall


                                               The Dome of the Rock                    


Walked miles from the Old City to the Israeli Museum after the 3 hour tour.  Through lots of new Jerusalem.  Very nice but after yesterday etc etc, and little sleep on the plane last night, I am tired.  Only did it because the Museum was free today for Israeli Independence day. I am such a cheapskate. There are huge mad celebrations everywhere.  Kind of like the 70s when everyone upped their family and went to the parks for a barbecue.  I can hear lots of firecrackers going off.  At least I hope they are fire crackers.  My hotel is in the Arab area of East Jerusalem, so its probably just as well I am too tired to go out tonight.  I don't suppose the Palestinians are all that thrilled about Israeli independence.  Hotel is really well priced.  People are very nice and friendly.  Room is very spacious, shabby but clean.  Bathroom from the 60s I reckon.  I arrived really early this morning and they gave me a free breakfast and had my room ready by just after 8.  I also have a great view over the Mount of Olives and the Valley of Kidron.
Tomorrow am off on a tour of Masada and the Dead Sea.  It will be good to have a day off from constant walking, walking, walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment