Saturday 28 May 2011

Prahahahaha - or, "beats fahrting around Vienna"

It costs $2.40 AUD equivalent for one fahrt on the metro in Vienna, and $7.60 for 24 hours of unlimited fahrts.  In Prague it is $1.80 equiv. for 75 minutes free travel,  90 cents for a short trip and $5.45 for the 24 hour thing.
I went shopping as I have an apartment type thing.  Really good, like a kitchen/breakfast room with a bed in it and a bathroom next to it.  Internet works, well stocked crockery etc., microwave, hotplates, big fridge.  Tea, coffee, dishwashing liquid etc supplied.  Neat, clean - I think I will like Praha.  Anyway, shopping - box of brekkie ceeral, milk, butter, fruit juice, loaf of bread, fried rice for two nights, frozen veges, two small cakes (you've got to love a place that has alcohol flavoured custard slices), small bottle coke, packet of choc chip biscuits, packet of peanuts, banana  - all for $21.25 equivalent total - for two dinners, four breakfasts and some snacks.  Prahahahaha.

Vienna was nice and had some great art and architecture.  Didn't get to a concert because of thunder storms.  Rainy this morning too so didn't get to see anything much.  I did buy a strudel for the train though.  It turned out to be strawberry and custard, yum.

The Czech countryside is pretty, especially Moravia, past the border where it is quite hilly and very green.  Lots of villages in the hills and forests.  I saw a deer on the edge of the forest.

                                            This is where the deer was before it ran away

My sitting companions jumped up but were too late.  They were a French Geologist and his girlfriend both very interested in Tasmania.  I say girlfriend because she was very attentive to his needs and wants, feeding him delicacies and offering him first bite at her's.  They didn't say what she did but they had been to a conference in Vienna and were having a holiday in Prague.

Also passed through Brno and the original home of Budweiser I think.  If I am not wrong I read that Czechs are the least rteligious in Europe but they love their beer.  It is really difficult to read the amount on their coins so you just have to guess.  I forgot to put my Euro coins away and wondered why I couldn't get the train ticket machine to work!!!!  Go figure.
                           You can get really fresh fish in Prague - this is in the supermarket


Good internet at this hotel, good everything it seems so far.  Pictures added to last two blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment